Okay, so I've been under the impression that even though knitting has become a new hip thing to do, it's still old lady as all hell so I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot knitting needle. At this point, the craze and hype is sorta over so when I got offered a lesson, I figured I'm the cool one now for waiting until it's not really that cool anymore. So that's how I rationalized my participation in this whole thing. Well, that and the fact that it was FREE. Free things make me smile and twitch in my "special" places.
I'll start by saying I found some classes that you have to pay for and HOLY KNIT they're like $150 for three/four lessons. Thank little baby Jesus I found this deal. On with the tale.
My friend and I arrived at our appointment and were greeted with HUGE thick yarn and HUGE thick needles. Apparently, it's the easiest way to grasp the very complex concept of knitting. We learned how to "cast off", and we learned the regular knit and the pearl stitch. I felt like I was a two year old. I would try, fail, get upset with myself, scold myself for not doing better. Then I would try, do it right, cheer myself. A pattern of this continued. Usually with the former result whereby I would hand the knitting needles over to my instructor to fix or have her hold my hands and do it with me.
So then we bought some yarn and knitting needles. They have this thingymajig where you put the yarn around this other thing and attach it to another thing and crank the handle. And basically what this does is pull the yarn into a ball. IT IS SOOOO AWESOME! I could do that for a living if someone would let me.
We then decided to stay for awhile and start our scarves. (They reccommend starting off with a scarf because it's basic knitting back and forth without complications.) I have decided to make it even more basic for myself and make kid's scarves. Just to get practice and build my technique.
Alas, I went home...knitted...came to work today...knitted. I only want to knit. But this is the case whenever I get a shiny new toy. I only hope that the knitting needles don't end up in the closet as do so many of my other passions have.
I can definitely say that if you need to get your mind off something or calm down...this is definitely good for that. You have to focus on the needles or you'll fcuk it up...and it really sucks when you fcuk up.
This is FiFi signing off...back to my knitting.
Wednesday, August 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment