Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Why Is Saving The Earth So Damned Expensive?

Recently I've become more conscious about the earth and resolved that it does not actually revolve around me. So, when I take and take and take...just like most people (that includes you)...it seems apparent that soon there will be nothing left.

I have become more spiritual (meaning I try to meditate here and there and I have little Buddhas all over my pad).

I worry about the economy and that soon we'll all be stuck at a standstill with no money, no job, no gas, no mortgage and an endless list of other "no mores."

I think about the ozone, climate change, the depletion of natural resources, and the melting of all that ice all over those cold places that should not melt. My mother says it's getting hot only because we're getting closer to hell, but I have a sinking suspicion that we the peeps are bringing about our own hell.

Hence, I have begun to make my own small attempt at contribution. I turn off the lights...appliances and such when I'm not using them. Usually, I remember but if I ever forget I am always reminded by my persistent houseguest. I bought those green grocery bags, and then I remembered. I always throw my garbage away in the plastic bags from the store. What am I going to do now? Persistent houseguest says not to throw the garbage directly in the chute! Rats or something or other. And I most certainly do not want rats, cockroaches or any other living creatures in my apartment other than me and my persistent houseguest. So, I researched biodegradible trash bags. Uh...yeah...so those friggers are mucho dinero. Por favor! Oh and they fall apart because they're made from cornstarch.

Therefore, I must find a compromise between plastic and green. I really think it's silly to spend all my green in an effort to become green. That seems not quite right. Oh well, I do my best. That's all we can really hope for.

No comments: